Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Ilonggo-Ilocano Fusion



Here's an Ilonggo dish which has always been a favorite of mine since I was a little kid. We call it apan-apan. Normally, it would be just takway sauteed with guinamos. But for some Ilonggos who love the taste of pork in their dishes, they sautee the fatty part of the pork until the flavor is infused in the guinamos before they put in the takway. Takway releases water so you just have to cover it until it's cooked. Your choice of vinegar can now be poured in to achieve that mouth-watering flavor. 
I was a bit disappointed when I went home to Iloilo last week because I wasn't able to eat this. Good thing takway can now be bought straight from SM City Iloilo, packed in a fashionable manner - all cleaned up and sealed in styro packs. I bought three packs and brought them here in Manila. 
I cooked it the traditional way but I forgot to bring with me an Ilonggo vinegar. What I had was vinegar from Ilocos. Since it was perfect for pork adobo, I thought it would equally great for apan-apan too. And to complete the Ilonggo-Ilocano fusion, I fried some sliced bagnet and topped it on my apan-apan. 
I bet you know what happened next... Now I'm beginning to feel my tummy grow bigger again... blame it to my Iloilo-Boracay trip last weekend...

No comments:

Post a Comment