Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Healthy Breakfast



 I was contemplating on what to have this breakfast since I've been feasting on pork dishes and other oily food this past week. I went to Topway, a local grocery store near my place in Mandaluyong, and I decided to get Century Corned Tuna after rummaging through the canned goods section.

After buying some other stuff for the rest of the week, I immediately went home to prepare my corned tuna because I have been starving. I actually didn't have a dish in mind. When I got home, I boiled water (for my instant coffee) then opened my fridge to see what can be salvaged from my left overs.

I still had left over lumpia wrappers which I used for my crispy halo-halo last week, pickle relish, and peperoncini (courtesy of Sasha). With that, I had a dish in mind... tuna taquitos (although originally, corn tacos should be used for this dish.)


At this point, my kettle signaled me that my hot water is ready. So I turned off the gas stove and prepared my Nescafe Brown 'n  Creamy instant coffee. I usually buy Kopiko because Nescafe Brown 'n Creamy is always out of stock. But today, I got lucky.


















After taking my first sip, I prepared my wrapper. And to my dismay, it's already a bit brittle and some of which were already torn. But I can't give up. Not this time. Luckily, I was still able to use the wrappers but they are no longer as perfect as I wanted them to be. And this sad fact explains the pictures below...

With this condition, I knew I had to be extra careful in frying them. I also had a potato so I cut it into wedges, seasoned with salt and pepper, then fried them too. And after a rigid baby-sitting of the delicate taquitos, I think I was able to turn a tragedy into a fairy tale.I didn't have any salsa to go with my dish so I just had tomato catsup mixed with crushed chili flakes. Superb!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment